4th Ludwig Wittgenstein Summer School 2012 (Hans Sluga, David G. Stern)
The International Ludwig Wittgenstein Institute (ILWI)
founded by ALWS
is pleased to announce the
4th Ludwig Wittgenstein Summer School
1st – 4th August 2012
Kirchberg am Wechsel / Lower Austria
The Blue Book, pp.1-44
Hans SLUGA (Berkeley)
David G. STERN (Iowa City)
Scientific Organization: Volker MUNZ (Klagenfurt, ALWS)
Impressions of the participants on this summer school can be read here.
(1) Wittgenstein, Blue Book, pp. 1-44
There exists only a limited secondary literature specifically devoted to the Blue Book - though the literature on topics raised in that work is extensive. Here is a concise list.
Studies of the Blue Book:
(2) Rush Rhees, “Preface,” in (1)
(3) O. K. Bouwsma, “The Blue Book,” Journal of Philosophy, vol. 58, 1961, pp. 141-162.
(4) Hans Sluga, “Wittgensteins Blaues Buch,” Proceedings of the 10th International Wittgenstein Symposium, 1985
The Middle Wittgenstein:
(5) Anthony Kenny, Wittgenstein. Chs 8 & 9 “Understanding, Thinking and Meaning” & “Language-Games.”
(6) David Stern, “The ‘Middle Wittgenstein.’ From Logical Atomism to Practical Holism,” Synthese, vol. 87, 1991, pp. 203-226.
(7) Ray Monk, Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius. Ch. 16 “Language Games: The Blue and Brown Books.”
(8) Mark Addis, Wittgenstein: A Guide for the Perplexed ch. 4 “The Middle Period”. Continuum, 2006.
Topics in the Blue Book:
(9) Hans Sluga, Wittgenstein, ch. 4 “The Prodigious Diversity of Language Games”
(10) Renford Bambrough, “Universals and family Resemblance,” in George Pitcher, (ed.) Wittgenstein: The Philosophical Investigations.
(11) Hans Sluga, Wittgenstein, ch. 5, “Families and Resemblances”
(12) Rogers Albritton, “On Wittgenstein’s Use of the Term ‘Criterion’,” Journal of Philosophy, vol. 56, 1959, pp. 845-857. Reprinted in Pitcher (ed.) Wittgenstein: The Philosophical Investigations, with a four-page postscript Albritton wrote in 1966.
(13) Philip W. Bennett, “Wittgenstein and Defining Criteria,” Philosophical Investigations, vol. 1, 1978, pp 49-63.
Related work by Wittgenstein from the Blue Book period:
(14) Ludwig Wittgenstein, Wittgenstein’s Lectures: Cambridge, 1932-1935. Part II. The Yellow Book (Selected Parts) pp. 43-73. Ed. Alice Ambrose. U of Chicago Press, 1979.
(15) Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Grammar pp.39-196.
Maximum number of participants: 40
Application deadline (registration and payment): 01 April 2012
Information concerning acceptance/non-acceptance: 30 April 2012 (Full reimbursement in case of non-acceptance)
Date of arrival: 31 July 2012
Accommodation will be organized by the ALWS and is located just opposite the conference centre. Private booking possible.
Summer school participants are invited to join the 35th International Wittgenstein Symposium:
Ethics - Society - Politics. Kirchberg am Wechsel, 5 - 11 of August 2012
at reduced fees.
220 Euro including conference participation (180 Euro for ALWS members)
180 Euro summer school only (150 Euro for ALWS members).
Summer school fees can be reimbursed only until 15 June 2011 (minus 20 Euro handling charge).
(Refunding of later cancellation: 110 Euro / 90 Euro; minus 20 Euro handling charge)
Payment of the fees includes:
* Free board and lodging during the summer school (dormitory)
* Certificate of participation (working load in ECTS points)
Required qualifications: The summer school is addressed to advanced university students in philosophy. Elementary knowledge of Wittgenstein’s philosophy is desirable. Applicants are asked to send a performance record and a 3-page preparatory essay on one or several remarks taken from The Blue Book.
Further details concerning preparation (reading list), programme, etc. will be announced.
Teaching language: English
For registration please click here to get the registration form.